GEM stands for Government E-Marketplace which is an online portal that makes it easy for acquiring of goods and services necessary in different government departments, organizations and public sector undertakings in India. Government E-Marketplace has been introduced to increase transparency in government purchases, fasten the procedure of procurement and improve competence. The GEM portal was formed on the recommendation of a group of secretaries to the central government. Director-General of Supplies and Disposal along with the National e-Governance Division which comes under the Ministry of Electronics and IT are behind the creation and flagging off of GEM. The pilot phase of the GEM portal was only made open for Central Government Departments and CPSU’s having base in Delhi and NCR. After getting feedback and a lot of comprehensive study from this pilot move GEM was rolled out in other parts of India. Ministry of Finance has authorized government users to make purchases through Gem and have added new rules regarding the same as 141-A in the General Financial Rules,2005. If you want to participate in government E tenders then having a registration on GEM is required which we at Registartionseva.com can assist you with. We will guide you through the process of registering as a seller on the Government E-Marketplace in this article.
Products and Services sold on Gem
2. Pass Book
3. Smart card
4. Bar Code Scanners
4. Computer Accessories like Mouse, Keyboards, External Hard Disk Drives, RAM, Pen Drive, Power Bank.
1. A4 (210mm X 297mm)
2. Note Sheets
3. Note Books
4. Air Conditioner
5. Multi-Media Projectors
6. UPS (Line Interactive and on-line)
7. Packaged drinking water
Purchases made from Gem
Authorized council of Central Government Departments, Public Sector Undertakings, State Government Departments and Autonomous bodies can make a purchase through the Gem or Government E-Marketplace. Government Officers of the rank of Joint Secretary and equivalent are authorized by the Director-General of Supplies and Disposal for purchasing through GeM. These authorized officers can further authorize other officers internally in their respective departments to purchase on the Government Marketplace portal. The following details are required for a Government officer to be registered as a buyer on the Gem:
- AADHAR Number
- Mobile number
- Official or NIC email
- Class 3 Signature Certificate
- Authorization of competent authority of their Department
Purchasing Powers of Government Officers
An authorized officer who is making an order of purchase up to Rs. 50000/- is permitted to purchase a product through any of the suppliers available on the GeM, provided they meet the required quality, specification and delivery period. For purchase above Rs.50, 000, the Government office has to choose the supplier who has the least pricing amongst the suppliers available on the GeM, provided they meet the requisite quality, specification and delivery period. Purchasers can use online tools for online bidding and online reverse auction which have been provided by GeM.
Registration of Seller
Any sellers who produce or markets authentic products or carry out services can register themselves as a seller on the Government E-Marketplace. Following documents have to be provided by the sellers on the Government E-Marketplace:
- PAN CARD
- Udyog Adhaar or Company Registration or LLP Registration
- VAT/TIN Number (if applicable)
- Bank Account & supporting KYC documents
- Identity proof
- Address proof
- Canceled cheque copy
Procedure for Registration
To be a seller on the Government E-Marketplace, one has to register a business as a manufactures or traders or service provider. The registration process is simple and a GeM user ID with a password is given to the seller to access the account. Through this GeM account, the seller/service provider can list the products and services offered by them along with the respective price. The price of the product/ service can be set by the seller according to his cost. But it is important to keep in mind that the price set on GeM should include the cost for logistics, packing & taxes, duties, etc. along with a suitable margin, indicating the percentage of Excise Duty, GST as applicable with on-site delivery charges.
Once the seller registration is completed, the seller will start getting orders through the seller dashboard on GeM. As soon as a customer places an order, GeM shoots an e-mail alert. These orders can be managed by the seller through the GeM portal itself. Afterreceiving the order, the seller has the responsibility of packing the item and doing the delivery to the buyer on-time. The safety of delivery to the consignee is the responsibility of the seller.
Sellers bank account will directly get the payments for the goods or services purchased through the Government E-Marketplace within 10 days after receipt and acceptance of the goods or services or after the expiry of 10 days time prescribed for return policy.
Advantages of Selling on the Government E-Marketplace
Before GeM came into existence most of the SME’s and start-ups in India were not able to sell to the Government of India who is one of the largest purchasers of goods and services in the country by spending lakhs and crores on purchases. This hurdle was because of the cumbersome procedures and delays in payment. The Government E-Marketplace or GeM has disrupted that system and introduced a clean and efficient mechanism for Government purchases. Therefore more sellers can get registered on the Government E-Marketplace and make the Government a customer. The following are some other benefits of being a seller on the Government E-Marketplace:
- Direct access to all Government departments.
- One-stop marketing place with minimum marketing attempt.
- All government tenders will come to one place and there is no need to keep watch for tenders of different departments. Once you have registered as a seller, the concerned departments would themselves approach you.
- No need to do product and model registration.
- Products accepted against supplier’s guarantee/warrantee and usually free from standard consignment check testing and assessment procedures.
- The seller does not have to customize his products or services to given specifications. You can market your product with all the characteristics defined by you. Renew and improve products as soon and as many times as you find it essential.
- Dynamic pricing is there which means the price can be changed based on market conditions and there has to be no fixed price for the whole year. There is no need to worry about fluctuating raw material prices or exchange rate variations.
- The seller does not have to keep on doing model up-gradation or changes. Once the latest products are listed one just has to market them based on descriptions and competitive prices.
- Get complete information of all Govt. requirements through Annual Procurement Plans.
- There is a guarantee of timely payments.
- Uniform and consistent purchase procedures and terms and conditions of the contract.
The GeM registration process is quite straightforward, involving the following six simple steps
- You need to provide the essential details and information about your business to the web portal.
- Then, discuss with our expert advisors on how to get GeM Registration to ensure you obtain it in a hassle-free way.
- We have qualified professionals who will assess and verify the validity of your documents and business details.
- Once all the details are vetted and verified by our experts, we will file the GeM Registration on your behalf.
- Following this, you will get a call from a government authorized agency for inspecting your place of business.
- Successful completion of the inspection of your business place, you may start selling your products & services on the GeM portal.